Sunday, June 17, 2012

Arug-ooh-la-la

Is there anything more unique than the taste of arugula?  I can't find anything to compare it to.  People call it spicy or peppery, and yes, I suppose that gets to some of its subtleties...but still, I can't find a way to fully describe its taste.  Just trust me, arugula is the perfect spring or summertime green to add pizzaz to your meal!

Now, I love a good pesto, but I'm always hesitant to make classic basil pesto because it basically requires me to decimate the two basil plants we have growing on the deck.  I can't bear to do it!  Adding arugula to pesto gives it excellent body and a yummy, extra refreshing taste.

Here is the result of my arugula pesto adventure.  I apologize that all the following measurements are rather approximate.  This was a "throw-together" dish - that turned out amazingly well - so I didn't take careful measurements.  The beauty about pesto, however, is that it's all about you and what you like.  No pesto recipe fits everyone perfectly.  Start out with a recipe or ingredient ideas, taste and add as you go, and eventually you will have the besto pesto for you!

Arugula Basil Pesto

Ingredients:

  • 5-6 cups arugula (leaves and stems)
  • 1-2 cups basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
  • 2 tbsp feta (I had previously marinated mine in olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and marjoram)
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • zest of half a lemon
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Put arugula, basil, and toasted sunflower seeds in a food processor (I used my beloved mini-prep!).  Chop until fine.
  2. Add in the feta and parmesan.  Chop for another few seconds.
  3. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.  Chop for another few seconds.
  4. Through the feed tube, with the processor on, drizzle in the olive oil.
  5. Add the balsamic vinegar.  Chop a few times.
  6. Taste and then add any necessary salt and pepper.
  7. Make any final touches you may need to...bit of this, bit of that.  Perhaps more oil?  Perhaps more cheese (yes, always!)?  Perhaps more chopping?
I chose to toss the pesto with some pasta and bite-size pieces of roast chicken, finishing with a garnish of chopped dried figs.  Finally, I grated some extra parmesan cheese on top and drizzled a little more fresh lemon juice.  It was the perfect, refreshing meal to enjoy on the deck in the lovely sunlight!

These pasta are like long spaghetti with a hole through the middle...heehee they look like worms.
Previously, arugula was something I just tolerated - I never really liked it.  Now, however, I can't get enough!  Arugula on pasta, on pizza, on salad, give me more!  Sadly, I used the last of our arugula in this pesto...and I had leftovers, but then C and a friend came over 30 min later and gobbled it up, so leftovers no more.  Hopefully this week's CSA brings another bunch (or two please) of arugula!

No comments:

Post a Comment