Thursday, January 5, 2012

...in an effort to use all our CSA potatoes

Our CSA gives us dozens and dozens of adorable little potatoes.  The problem: I am not a huge fan of potatoes.  It's quite strange, actually, because a few years ago I was obsessed with them.  Roasted in the oven, sauteed, mashed - I liked it all.  Nowadays, potatoes just don't interest me on their own.  For that reason, all our other CSA vegetables were gobbled up and those dozens of potatoes just sat in the fridge, sadly not being used.  Luckily, potatoes have a long shelf life!

Finally, I found a recipe using potatoes that piqued my interest.  I found a potato rosemary bread recipe in the Flour cookbook.  It was the perfect recipe for three reasons: (1) it called for potatoes, of which we had far too many in the fridge (2) it called for rosemary, a few sprigs of which I still had leftover from the butternut squash mac and cheese, and (3) it was another project for Mr. Bread Sponge!

This bread came out beautifully puffy, soft, and silky from the potatoes.  The hint of rosemary is just perfect and not over-powering at all, so this bread doubles as a savory or sweet vessel.

Weighing your ingredients can be fun and artistic...
Beginning with the flours and water.

Shaggy shaggy dough.


Hello, little bread sponge.  My you've grown!  Time for a new bowl?

Sponge, sugar, and salt in next.

Time for the mixin'.

Flavor and fluffiness: pureed potatoes, rosemary, and olive oil.

KitchenAid: go!

Nap time for Mr. Dough...see you in 3 hours!

This dough doesn't puff up very much during its relaxation time.

But it does become very soft and mellow.

Little breads.

Slashed with an X this time around.

Just out of the oven!

Look at how he's puffed up - ready to fly right off the baking sheet!

X marks the spot...for eating.

Beautiful inside and golden brown outside.  I love seeing those rosemary pieces and potato skins.

Also, exciting things just happened the other day: my new Wusthof bread knife arrived!  It was perfect timing - I had an excellent tool to slice my bread before I froze it...and I had a bread to test out the knife.  Everyone wins.

Big bread all sliced up.

Close up glamor shot.

1 comment:

  1. Your consumer products testers report: As delicious as it looks!

    ReplyDelete