Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pancake Invention: Part I

I used to think that making pancakes was a precise science, and I relied on following recipes very closely.  However, by browsing through so many pancake recipes, I realized that there are so many variations in ingredients, proportions, etc. that pancakes must not be such a strict science after all.  Thanks to some insomnia last night (perhaps induced by too much chocolate ice cream right before bed...ice cream post to come soon), I did a mental scan of the contents of our fridge and began to concoct my very own pancake recipe.  I finally fell asleep, and when I woke up later, I was so excited to actually try out my recipe.  Luckily, sleep hadn't made me forget what I wanted to put in my pancakes.  ...and I'm surprised I didn't spend the whole night dreaming about pancakes...

Egg White Buckwheat and Spelt Pancakes


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup egg whites (2-3 egg whites, depending on your eggs)
  • 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
  • 2 tbsp spelt flour
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp kefir (plain yogurt or sour cream should work, too)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • things for garnishing your pancakes (I used a banana, toasted pecans, and some more maple syrup) 

    Directions:

    1. Whisk your egg whites for a minute or two until very foamy.  Pour about two tablespoons of the egg whites into a medium sized bowl and set aside.  
    2. Continue whisking the remaining egg whites until you have soft peaks and set aside.
    3. In the bowl with the two tablespoons of egg whites, add the buckwheat and spelt flours and mix.  
    4. Add in the baking powder and mix well.
    5. Stir in the olive oil, kefir, and vanilla.
    6. Fold the soft-peak egg whites into the mixture in two additions, being careful not to over-mix or deflate.
    7. Heat your pan over medium heat and oil lightly with olive oil or butter.  Spoon the batter onto the pan to the size you desire.  Once little bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is nicely browned, flip your pancake.  These pancakes cook pretty quickly because they are so light from the egg whites, so keep a close eye on them.
    8. Serve with some yummy fruit, nuts, sweetener, yogurt, etc!
    Off the heat and ready to be dressed up.

    Outfitted with some lovely toppings...a Napoleon of sorts.

    Top view so you can really see all the components.

    Fluffy and flavorful pancakes, slightly grey-brown from the buckwheat flour.  These toppings add just the perfect amount of sweetness to perk you up rather than weighing you down!  (After a few bites, I decided to try a little kefir on top, too, and the slight sourness of the kefir was absolutely the perfect balance to these pancakes and toppings.)

    ...already concocting Pancake Invention: Part II.  Suggestions always welcome.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment