Friday, January 6, 2012

Musings of a Fred: Part I

Who doesn't love those tiny baby bananas?  They are not only adorable, but they also have the loveliest taste and texture.  Whenever I see them at Whole Foods, I pounce!  They are a rarity (however, they have been more frequent in the last few months), so I must take advantage when I can.  On my last trip to Whole Foods, there they were.  Bunches and bunches of the most beautiful little bananas, just a day or two away from their perfect ripeness.  Each bunch was composed of at least a dozen bananas.  I only wanted six or so, so I tried to split the bunch.  Now this is where it gets pathetic: I couldn't break them apart!  After trying for a good minute, I was so embarrassed (I bet one of the employees was mocking me from afar) that I just took the whole bunch.  The result: meet my new 18 baby bananas.




This week is gonna be BaNAnaS!


...



So now, my current challenge: increase my iron intake.  Since I'm not a huge meat-eater, spinach will be my best friend.  What's the best way to incorporate spinach into your diet?  Why make a green cocktail (well...mocktail) of course!



Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp of chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup kefir, lassi, or plain yogurt
  • one frozen banana, cut into small chunks
  • two generous handfuls of spinach

    Directions:
    1. Mix the chia seeds and kefir together and let sit for at least 15 minutes.  (I usually do this in advance in large batches, keeping the mixture in the fridge so that it's always ready to go.)
    2. Place the chia and kefir mixture, frozen banana chunks, and spinach in a blender.  Blend until it reaches your desired smoothness.
    3. Serve in a martini glass, garnished with pretty spinach leaves.

    This little mocktail is rather divine, and the color just makes you smile :)



    ...


    Perhaps one of the best meals I have ever had: Ethiopian cuisine at Addis Red Sea.  The food was like nothing I had ever had, but the blends of spices and textures kept me craving more when the plate was completely empty (literally wiped clean with injera bread).  The food, combined with the fact that I was with some of my dearest friends and that we ate the whole meal together from one plate and with our hands, made this a fantastic food experience.



    Close up...chicken, lamb, beef, chickpeas, and veggies in beautiful, buttery sauces!  The best part: eating the injera bread at the bottom at the end; it had become deliciously saturated with the sauces from all the dishes.

    1 comment:

    1. That happened to me once too (the banana story). I asked one of the employees to cut them apart for me. He whipped out his box cutter and asked me how many I wanted. Easy.

      ReplyDelete