Monday, July 2, 2012

Egg Nests

A few weeks ago, I was looking up the timing for boiling eggs (I was craving deviled eggs...who knows why because I never liked them before!  But they were delicious...).  In this process, I stumbled upon the most adorable thing I had ever seen: egg nests.  The recipe was so simple, but the product was so elegant!  I knew I wanted to make them eventually, but it was just a matter of when.  I finally took advantage of the oven being on the other morning to make these cutie little nests.

The result was divine!  Fluffy eggs whites made the perfect "sponge" to sop up all the rich, runny egg yolk.  And again, they were super cute to look at.

These egg nests would be the perfect brunch dish.  They are easy to make, fast, and easy on the eyes.

Egg Nests
adapted from Simply Recipes

The following recipe will be for one egg; just multiply based on how many eggs you want to make!

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg, separated (if doing multiple eggs, keep the yolks of each egg in separate cups)
  • 2 tbsp grated cheese (parmesan, gruyere, gouda, manchego...anything you like)
  • salt (about 1/8 tsp) and pepper, to taste

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.
  2. Whip the egg white until it holds stiff peaks.
  3. Fold in the cheese, salt, and pepper.
  4. Place the whipped egg white onto the baking sheet so that you form a little mound.  Make a little indentation in the middle.  It should look like a nest!
  5. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes.  
  6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully slip the egg yolk into the middle of the nest.
  7. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes.
  8. Serve immediately with some yummy toast (or homemade baguette).

This beauty was worthy of a glamour shot on the garden rocks.

I think next time I'll jazz up the egg whites a little bit more.  Perhaps some herbs or spinach folded in...because who doesn't like green eggs?


And just in case you were curious about those deviled eggs I mentioned...

Hey!  Don't eat my eggs, Mr. Froggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment