Monday, July 2, 2012

Farm Veggie Salad

This weekend, I went to get my hair cut.  On my way to the salon, I spotted a new farmers market!  It was such a pleasant surprise, and it took the ultimate will power not to stop by the market before my hair appointment (and I was already late).  Luckily, the market was just two blocks down from the salon, so my plan was to go right after.  As I sat impatiently, waiting for the dryer to dry faster, I wondered which familiar vendors I would see.  Hair cut, dried, paid, I almost flew out of the salon and towards the market.  So many wonderful veggies!!  Of course, I already had lots of these from my CSA, but it was nice to see the displays plus some vegetables and fruits we hadn't received yet.  I couldn't resist getting a few things...especially when I spotted sweet corn and sugar snap peas (I had just polished off the pint from our CSA).

As soon as I got home, I set to work preparing a delicious veggie salad.  It was delicious and oh so refreshing for the hot summer day!  Normally, I don't make the same thing twice (why make the same thing over and over when there's not enough time to try everything in the first place!), but I think I will definitely do this (or something similar) again.

Farm Veggie Salad
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • 10 super plump sugar snap peas, chopped into bits
  • 1 ear fresh sweet corn, kernels cut off
  • 5 french breakfast radishes, sliced thin
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
  • 1/4 cup sheep feta
  • zest of 1 lime (organic)
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp honey
  • pinch of cumin
  • pinch of sumac
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine the peas, corn, radishes, scalions, dill, and feta in a medium bowl.  Zest the lime into the bowl.  Toss.
  2. Make the dressing: whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, honey, spices, salt, and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings.
  3. Pour the dressing onto the veggies.  Toss until everything is coated well.
  4. I let the salad sit for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend...and to let me clean up my kitchen mess.  
So colorful and bright (both in looks and taste)!  Definitely a summer salad.

In other news...I also picked up a new pet at the farmers market.  Initially, I was inspired by her yellow-orange baubles and decided to name her Clementine.  When I was watering her the following day, however, her luscious locks of stem screamed Roberta to me.  So finally, she will be dubbed Roberta Clementine.  And in these hot days when I feel super sluggish and lazy, I will probably just refer to her as Bert or Clem...oooh there's another name Clemberta?  Let's just say her name may always be changing.

Nice stems... 
Oooh look at those yellow-orange beauties!  Ready to be picked yumm.

1 comment:

  1. Clemberta got watered today. And I picked all the ripe ones.

    ReplyDelete