Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Now Bring Me Some Figgy Ice Cream

Figs are one item I rarely see at the grocery store.  In this age of "everything always" with respect to produce, figs are one of those special items that only show up in the grocery store at specific, narrow times of year.  Therefore, I was so happy to see boxes and boxes of figs at Whole Foods the other day.  I immediately snatched up a package!

For the past few days I had been in an ice cream inspiration slump.  I hate to repeat flavors no matter how delicious they are, and I just couldn't decide in what direction I wanted to go for my next batch.  The figs got me out of that slump!  I had often wished I could make David Lebovitz's Fig Ice Cream because the giant picture of it in the Perfect Scoop just looked so delicious, and it sounded so unique.  That being said, I did not make David Lebovitz's Fig Ice Cream.  Later, after buying the figs, I was on Foodgawker (of course) and one of the first postings was a Balsamic Fig Ice Cream from a blog I had never seen but that was totally calling out to me - a blog all about ice cream, sorbets, etc.!  Having made balsamic roasted strawberries a few weeks ago, I was confident that balsamic vinegar pairs very nicely with fresh fruit...in such an unexpected but delightful way.  I adapted the ice cream base of the recipe, opting for a cognac, egg-thickened ice cream rather than just plain vanilla, but otherwise I followed the fig compote recipe, and it was absolutely fabulous.  

Speaking of cognac, this recipe used the last drop of the bottle of cognac we had had in the basement for decades before I started making ice cream...and yes, solely through my ice cream adventures, I have decimated the bottle.  I think mother was shocked to see the bottle empty...but she was eating the ice cream, too!  She even complimented the fig ice cream on its delicious cognac-y flavor.  Yumm!  The wonders a little alcohol does to flavor and smoothness!

Balsamic Fig Ice Cream
Adapted from Scoop Adventures

Ingredients:

Fig Compote:
  • 1 1/2 heaping cups of chopped fresh figs (I think mine were brown Turkish figs)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp high-quality balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp cognac
Ice Cream Base:
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 vanilla bean
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp cognac
Directions:
  1. Combine the figs and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir occasionally and gently until the sugar melts, a minute or two.  
  2. Add the balsamic vinegar and cognac.  Cook for 30 seconds, just enough to heat all the ingredients.  Remove from the heat, let cool to room temperature, then put the compote in the fridge until you are ready to freeze your ice cream.
  3. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, pinch of salt, and 1/4 a cup of the sugar.  Split the half vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds, and add them to the saucepan along with the pod itself.  Heat the milk mixture until you start to see little bubbles around the edge of the pan; you just want to scald the milk, not boil it!
  4. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a medium, heat-proof bowl to combine.
  5. When the milk is hot, slowly pour it into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
  6. When all the milk has been added, pour the egg-milk mixture back into the saucepan and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly with a heat-proof spatula, until the ice cream base has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.  This will take a few minutes, the exact time depending on your stove, heat, etc.
  7. Position a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl.  After the base has thickened, remove it from the heat, and pour it through the sieve into the bowl.
  8. Make an ice/water bath and put the bowl into the bath to cool the ice cream base.
  9. Stir in the cognac.
  10. Continue to stir occasionally as the base cools.  When cool, transfer the base to the fridge to get it really cold, at least 4 hours.
  11. When the base is very cold, you are ready to freeze it!  Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.  In the last 5 minutes of churning, add in the fig compote.
  12. Enjoy on a cone or in a bowl, on the deck or on the couch, for afternoon snack or evening dessert!
Such a cute little fruit!  So plump!

A very sophisticated and very delicious scoop!

My conclusion: I'm definitely taking advantage of figs while they're available!

No comments:

Post a Comment